Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

And How Close are YOU with Joe McCarthy?

Packing is pretty much done. The only things I haven't packed yet are my toiletries and a few other items that I really won't be able to put away until Wednesday morning.

Oh, since I forgot this in my last entry: Congratulations to my dad, who sold his first car on Saturday! It was a Big Stupid SUV (is there any other kind?), but we'll forgive him for that. After all, he just sold the thing, he didn't design it. --This is why I personally could never sell cars. A customer would approach me about purchasing a Yukon or some damned thing and I would say, "Do you realize how much your purchase of this vehicle would contribute to global warming? Have you considered just getting a bicycle?"

In other news, the Rotarians are stupid. Ok, that was a little too general. To rephrase, allow me to say that the specific Rotarians who passed up my friend KK for a scholarship award are stupid. Profoundly, criminally stupid. She was, if anything, overqualified for the award-- speaks fluent German (she wanted to study in Graz, Austria), outgoing, confident, a good student, etc. She even made contact with an academic there who was willing to work with her!

We think that they may have discriminated against her for political reasons.

In her interview, she was asked, "What would you like to see change in America?" So, KK mentioned improved funding for education and health care. A safe enough answer, so it seemed. But then, the Head Rotarian (a rich, old, WASPy guy) glared at her and asked, "And how are you going to pay for that?" To which KK answered, "Taxes." (This was the wrong answer. The correct answer would have been: "Bomb some countries in the Middle East back into the Stone Age and take all their oil.") So, the Head Rotarian asked KK just how close she was with Josef Stalin.

At the time she thought he was kidding. Now she's not so sure.

Anyhow, KK and I hung out for what will probably be the last time for ten months tonight. First we went to the batting cages so she could pretend that some softballs were Rotarians, then we went out for ice cream. I had a good time.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrienne,

We want to wish you a safe trip to Germany. I hope the people that you meet in Germany and on your travels find you a special person with alot of talent and charm that we find in you. We are proud of you and will miss you. Hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

Love,

Judy, Scott and Elyse & Ruby

8:03 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Thanks Aunt Judy!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Today is the day! There will be lots of last minute things to do and items to pack. Despite all the anxiety that adds, I want you to know that your dad and I have really enjoyed having you around this summer. You have grown into a fine, lovely young woman. We are so very proud of you. The ten months will pass quickly, so travel, make friends, have some adventures, but don't forget to keep in touch. Love always, Mom

2:01 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Thanks Mom!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Auto Insurance Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about auto insurance quote, please feel free to visit.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apartment in kalamazoo michigan

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home