Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Current location: parents' house (Canton, Michigan, USA)

The first couple of posts here (see below) were already published somewhere else; apologies to those of you who had to read them twice! At any rate, my preparations are still humming along. New developments:

-All locks have been purchased.

-I updated my resume, packed up the books I'm having shipped and took my photos in to be developed.

-I said goodbye to my brother this evening. My little brother (ok, so he's ten inches taller than me-- he's still three years younger, dammit!) left to go back to college tonight. (He's renting this truly hideous house in the happening town of Big Rapids, Michigan. It has multicolored shag carpenting in every room, kitchen inclusive, and wallpaper with brown flowers.) Since his classes start on Monday and he's working Saturday, it's very doubtful that he'll be coming home again before I fly to Europe. So I won't see him for about 10 months. (He says that he'll visit me in Germany if he can find a way to drive there-- the kid hates to fly. Also if I'll rent a car in my own name and let him drive on the Autobahn at 190 mph.) Jeez, that's weird. Who am I going to rip on?

To Do List:
1. Mend pants!
2. Pack!
3. Get mom's name on savings account for emergency purposes.
4. Finish Das siebte Kreuz.

On the surface this may look somewhat less daunting than my previous to-do lists, but the packing will be quite a major job.

Oh! A note on the time signatures. I have them set to German time-- I'm not a night owl, really. To determine what time I actually posted an entry (while I'm still in the US), subtract 6 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home