Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Fulbright Preparation Update

Friday, August 20, 2004

Just a quick update to let you know what's going on in the Fulbright Preparation world. Sorry I haven't been posting very often lately; as you might imagine, I've been very busy!
-My laptop has arrived. In fact, I'm typing on it right now! So far I'm quite pleased with it. I've already downloaded the Linguistics software that I need (IPA fonts from SIL; Praat; Bartek Plichta's cool phonetic analysis software Akustyk). Now I just need to play around with Praat and Akustyk a bit in order to familiarize myself with them before I leave for Deutschland!
-My winter clothes are "packed" in paper bags in the living room. My mom will mail them to me after I know what my address in Bautzen will be. I put my menorah and a box of Chanukah candles in the box, too, since I imagine such things are hard to come by in a country with a Jewish population of only 60,000 or so!
-PA and I tested out my field recorder and tabletop mic, and they both work really well. Unfortunately my lapel mic hasn't arrived yet, although I did get the battery pack for it yesterday.
-I got my hair cut to my shoulders yesterday. It looks pretty good! Since it's not weighed down nearly as much now, it's very curly-- I think that if I ever cut it as short as my brother's, it would be as curly as his! It feels strange not having to pull my hair back when I sleep. And my head feels so light, and my back is cold. (This is the first time I've had shoulder length hair in about 15 years.)
Things I Still Need to Accomplish in the Next 12 Days:
1. Get theft and damage insurance for laptop, field recorder, and microphones.
2. Find out how much Lufthansa would charge me for taking extra carry-on baggage-- all this electronic equipment needs to go on the plane with me, and I can't fit it all in one bag.
3. Get about 200 Euro in cash, plus another 1500 or so in Traveler's Checks.
4. Pack!
5. Arrange books that I want shipped to me in a paper bag, near my winter clothes.
6. (Hopefully) meet with IA and ID so the two of them can tell me about their Fulbright experiences, give me advice, and pick on me a little.
7. Put my mom's name on my bank account so she can withdraw money from it (for me) in an emergency.
8. Contact grad school about reapplying (as a formality. I know they'll accept me again.).
9. Update my resume and possibly draft a Statement of Purpose for grad school (again); get Letter of Rec forms to profs (again).
10. Get myself a raincoat.
11. Finish Anna Seghers' Das siebte Kreuz so that I won't have to take it with me.
There are probably other things as well, but mercifully I can't think of them at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home