Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Preparing to Pack

I know that I said I'd be updating every day until I leave for Germany, and I didn't post anything either yesterday or the day before... I'm sorry. I've just been really, really busy. I hope that's understandable! Only two days left in Michigan now...

So here's what's up.

-I visited my friend IA at her house on Saturday. IA was a Fulbright Student back in the day (1987 I think?), in the pretty Hessian town of Marburg. She showed me a bunch of pictures from her Fulbright year, and offered me some very good advice: namely, to keep in touch with the friends I'll make over there!

-Finally finished with Das siebte Kreuz!

-Both of the Hostelling International youth hostels in Koeln are booked up for the four nights I'll be spending there... Apparently the other Teaching Assistants were savvier than I and reserved their beds more than three days in advance. So I'll probably stay at a private hostel instead, or maybe even a bed and breakfast (provided that's not too expensive).

And the agenda for today? Packing, packing, packing! As soon as my laundry is done I'm going to start loading up my suitcases. My friend KK (who spent a year as an exchange student in Hamburg) recommends "vacuum packing" my clothes in sealed freezer bags. I'll try that-- hopefully it will help me save some space. Now, if only I could find some way to make my massive Harper-Collins German-English English-German Unabridged Dictionary take up less room (and weigh less). Freeze drying, perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home