Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Another Day in Köln

Note to uncle: this post contains some sacriligeous jokes. Do not print for Granny!

I'm on a computer with a European-style keyboard this time, so I can make umlauts! (This makes me happier than it should.)

In the past two days I've done a lot of exploring of the city: Römisches-Germanisches Museum (Köln was a Roman colony; this museum displays artifacts from the city's Roman past), Ludwig Museum (an excellent collection of modern art), and the Altstadt (old town). One painting that I particularly enjoyed depicted an exasperated Mary taking the baby Jesus over her knee and spanking him. Unfortunately I don't remember who painted it.

Today I attempted to see the Sankt-Ursula-Kirche, which features a Goldenes Kammer containting about 800 skulls. The skulls are supposed to be some of the 11,000 virgins who, along with Ursula herself, were massacred by the Huns (a marauding tribe noted for their lack of respect for perpetual virginity). --I think the '11,000' figure has got to be inflated-- there wouldn't have been any virgins left in the Rhein region! Anyhow, the church is closed for renovations, and to see the Kammer you have to schedule an appointment with the rectory, so it was a no-go.

Later this afternoon I plan to visit a museum dedicated to one of my favorite things in the world: chocolate. There are supposed to be free samples.

In other news, the middle-aged Indian businessmen who have commandeered the hostel don't clean up after themselves in the kitchen. As my new buddy Monica from Alberta puts it, 'They're useless without their wives.' Since the rest of us need to use the kitchen, too, the Albertans have washed their dishes for them-- twice! It's very frustrating.

Off to the Schokolade-Museum!

5 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

thanks for all the updates! it's fun to read what you're up to. sounds like you're having more fun than i am :)

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrienne, one of the things I'll miss about you is your irreverant sense of humor. Thank goodness I can still enjoy it through your blog. Love Mom

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne:

Enjoy the chocolate. I remember the German sweets were much better than in the US. Maybe back in the day of Ursula all the males were eunuchs - poor slobs. Thus all the virgins. Anyway that's my theory.

Rick

8:16 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Hi everyone--

CT: Yep, I'm having a good time (for the most part). But at least you don't have to worry about somebody stealing your pasta sauce out of the refrigerator! That happened to me this morning. They took pizza belonging to one of the Albertans, too.

Mom: Thanks! I'm glad to know that there are at least two people in the world who think I'm funny. (The other one, of course, being myself!)

Rick: Well, I don't know if ALL the males were eunuchs, but the medieval church did like to castrate choirboys to preserve their beautiful high voices. (Women weren't allowed to sing in the choirs back then, so castration was the easiest way to solve the chronic shortage of sopranos!)

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just caught up on your blog posts. Now
I think you may be right about KK and
the Rotary scholarship. You didn't give
me the whole story before. Hitting
softballs sounds like a good way to
deal with the letdown. And fun.

Are you keeping a journal in addition to
blog postings? A lot of those first time
experiences are interesting. If you
capture them, you can look back 20
years from now and marvel at what you
wrote. By then your mind will have expunged most of the embarrassing things, but they are particularly fun to read.

Have you opened your world today?

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home