Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Bautzener Mulletland

I don´t know whether it´s an Ossi (East German) thing or just a German thing, but the Oberlausitz is definitely one mullet-intensive region. Probably 10% of the population here walks around sporting mullets. The amount of ´party in the back´varies by gender, age, and occupation-- but really it´s just variations on the ´Canadian waterfall´theme.

My host´s son, for example, is a nice, quite normal, and otherwise good-looking fellow in his mid-twenties. He has a quite short, unobtrusive blond mullet.

Little girls tend to wear close-cropped hair on the top and sides with a short, curly mullet in the back. I believe that my brother favored a similar hairstyle when he was six or so.

Middle-aged men often wear a longer mullet that is a bit spiky on top.

I get the impression that this is not in general a very stylish area. It might be compared to Michigan´s Upper Peninsula.

I´m afraid to get my hair cut here. When the time comes, I might just hop a train to Nordrhein-Westfalen and ask the Jewkrainian to do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

please don't get a mullet.....

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrienne:

Maybe I should suprise you with my new mullet look next summer.

Rick

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no...I'm picturing Rick with a mullet! Mom

10:36 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Christina-- Don´t worry. I have no plans to change my hairstyle. And even if I did, a mullet would be last on my list!

Rick-- Please don´t!

Mom-- You poor thing!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home