Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Last Post from the U.S.

This will be my last post from this side of the Atlantic. I should depart DTW at 6:05 pm, and arrive in Frankfurt am Main at 8:05 am tomorrow morning (which is 2:05 am Michigan time-- this is why jet lag happens!). Then, at 9:30 am, I'll hop on my final flight, which will take me to Koeln (that's "Cologne" to you monolinguals).

I'll be spending four days bumming around in Koeln before my orientation starts on September 10th. (Orientation is in Altenberg, near Koeln.)

I said four more goodbyes yesterday. The German Literature Stammtisch met for one last time before my trip: this will be my last time hanging out with IA, BC, SW, and MIT for 10 months! (ID couldn't make it; she had to attend some sort of union arbitration meeting.) That will seem strange, since I'm used to seeing them all once a week.

After we finished our meal and were walking to the parking lot, I said, "I'm sad!" So they asked me why. "Because I miss you guys already!" So then BC said, "The world is your oyster. All you have to do is open it." Which was reassuring. The world seems much more manageable if you think of it as an edible marine mollusk.

Who knows? Maybe I'll find a pearl.

1 Comments:

Blogger the more things change said...

it will be a whole new world when you get there (literally!), and i know you'll adjust well. hope your flights go well. talk to you soon :)

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home