Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Obligatory Linguistics Lesson

First, to clarify something in my last post, since there appears to have been some confusion among my readers: The dialect I was talking about is not Sorbian, but rather the local version of German. Sorbian is a lot more different from German than the Oberlausitz dialect is!

Example:
Ich heiße Ada. (I am called Ada-- standard German).
Ich heeß Ada. (I am called Ada-- Oberlausitz German).
Rékam Ada. (I am called Ada-- standard Upper Sorbian).

Sorbian is a West-Slavic language most closely related to Polish, Kashubian, Czech and Slovak. German is a West-Germanic language most closely related to Yiddish, English, Frisian, and Dutch. Sorry for the misunderstanding-- I should have been more clear!

Anyway, I moved into my new room yesterday. So far my host family seems really nice. I like my room (in a basement, but well-lit and very comfortable). One nice thing is that I don´t have to hang out at school all day waiting for my boss anymore. I can ride on over on my bike (borrowed from the boss) in the morning, then ride back as soon as I´m finished with my classes. My plan for today is to do some shopping, have a look around my village, and then hunker down with Thomas Mann. But first, of course, I have to finish unpacking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home