Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Sick Day

On Tuesday I evening I hiked from my home village to the village of Kauppa (Kupoj in Sorbian). It´s a really pretty village, surrounded by ponds with little islands in them. Unfortunately I got lost on the way back and spent a lot longer in the forest than I had previously anticipated. Being out in the damp cold for so long seems to have weakened my immune system-- I woke up on Wednesday morning with the flu (or something). Not the puking sort of flu, thank God, just the `my head aches and my back aches and my stomach aches and places I didn´t even think could ache (toes?!) ache´kind.

So I stayed home from school. I sat in my little room and read Buddenbrooks, and slept, and drank herbal tea. I´m pretty darn sure that I had a fever, but without a thermometer I had no way to measure that. It´s just as well, since I don´t know what temperature the human body is supposed to be in Celsius, anyway. At any rate I alternately sweated and had the chills.

During my sick day, I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom and had to call for help, I fell down the stairs (after visiting the kitchen to get a fork with which to eat my pickled herring), and I experienced the great frustration of having a caller hang up on me because she couldn´t understand my accent.

I´m back at school today (as is evident by the fact that I´m able to post this!), but mainly so that I can use the Internet and because I need to go to Bautzen this afternoon and finish my visa application.

I think that I´m slowly adjusting to European culture. I´ve acquired a taste for carbonated water, for one thing. I find myself cooking things like potatoes with curds and linseed oil (the Sorbian national dish). I automatically close doors. I no longer flinch at the sight of anatomically correct garden gnomes.

Perhaps things will go uphill from here.

2 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

i'm glad you're feeling better, and i'm also glad you didn't hurt yourself falling down the stairs...with a fork in your hand!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Ada said...

Thanks Christina! No, I didn´t stab myself when I fell down the stairs-- although I did get a little bit bruised. It was just the last five or six steps, thank God.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home