Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

I Can the Englisch Languages

Since this is a vocational-type secondary school and our students 'graduate' after the tenth grade and then enter the work force, there's a lot of emphasis on making sure our ninth-graders can write a CV and a letter of application-- in English as well as German. I've been grading a pile of faux CVs and application letters for the past couple of days, and I found some pretty funny examples of beginners' English.

Enjoy!


Part I: Overestimation of one's own linguistic abilities

- 'I'm speaking English and German very well.'
- 'I can the English languages.'
- 'I can German and Englisch.'
- 'I can speaking English very good.'
- 'I can good speaking English.'


Part II: Miscellaneous incomprehensibility

- 'I have the school work experience programm done in the chemistry, this, I think that's help me in my job as speech therapist.'
- 'I like it, me busy with other people and that I can help them.'
- 'Because I have loocked for a study that supports my hobbies, And I found the physicle engineer after my grammar school.'
- 'I have already two practical trainings in the direction Media.'
- 'This work experience confirmed me to apply for this job.'
- 'I have done already collect experience in a practical training and I was in a course for the language france.'
- 'But you must know: that you live in another country France or English and the time of work is not regulary, then.'


Part III: Answering the telephone (my personal favorite!)

- 'Personnel Department, Ireen Brook speaking. What's your problem?'

1 Comments:

Anonymous christina said...

funny!!

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home