Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Monday, May 23, 2005

I'm In!!!

Good news!

When I got back from my trip to England (more on that soon, I promise) an envelope from the Pedagogical Exchange Service was waiting for me. My reapplication was accepted, and I'm be spending a second year as a TA in Germany. Next year I'll be in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. (For those of you who aren't up on your German geography, that's in the northwestern part of the country, bordering the Low Countries. It's the most heavily populated state, and has the highest concentration of university towns.) I don't know the name of my future school yet or which city I'll be in, but should find out within the next couple of weeks.
I'm hoping for a Gymnasium (college preparatory school) in a university city.

I still plan to head home to Michigan for July and August, so I'll see at least some of you then!

Woo-hoo!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you! Mom & Dad

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adie,

I'm happy that it came through for you. One more year for you of being a world traveler while we just hang out back here in the states. See you in a couple of months.

Judy, Scott, and ELyse

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrienne:

That's great news. I guess this means that we won't be traveling the carnival circuit together :o :)

RTC

8:42 PM  
Blogger Ada said...

Thanks, everybody! I'm really happy that they gave me a 'second chance.' Hopefully next year I won't break anything!

I look forward to seeing everybody over the summer when I come home to visit. But, sorry, I don't think I'll have time to join the carnival this year. RTC, will you be barking for the Yak Woman again?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Maryle said...

Hi Ada,

I came across your blog earlier this year and couldn't stop reading it. I'm spending this year in small town Baden-Wuerttemberg as a Fulbright ETA. (gosh I hope this doesn't sound like spam). It's nice to know that someone else didn't have the pretty picture perfect experience that others talk about. Mine has been rough in ways, but I have reapplied for another year. I don't know if you are still keeping track of this blog, but I wanted to let you know your comments and posts are... well, they help me realize that I'm not alone in an ackward place.

Thanks for writing such a great blog about your two years.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home