Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

More Info about Next Year

I should probably apologize for the lack of posts this month. It's not that I haven't wanted to write; I just haven't had much time. The school year may be almost over (I have two and a half weeks left here, and the kids are here until mid-July), but things are definitely NOT winding down. Oh no. Between three-hour teachers' meetings (that other TAs don't have to attend), correcting tests (something my contract says I'm actually not supposed to do), working 14 hours a week at the school (2 more than I'm obligated to by contract), and prepping for lessons (still takes me about 10 hours every week!), I've had my hands full.

Well, ok, enough whining. You want to know what's going to happen to me next year!

I'm happy to report that the second year of Ada Abroad will be spent at a Gymnasium (college-prep secondary school, grades 5-13) in the city of.... Hamm!

I think I can tell you the name of the town this time because it's a bigger place-- it has at least eight secondary schools, so I just won't reveal the name of the one that I'll be working at. And more importantly, it has a train station. So I won't be stranded there on the weekends. Plus, while there is no university in Hamm itself, there are two college towns only 30 minutes away by train: Dortmund and Münster. I'm planning to apply to Uni Münster. The Fulbright Commission will even try to get the tuition fees waived for me, but that's not for sure yet because next year I'll just be an alumna, not a current grantee.

Before you go laughing at the name of my town, you should know that it's pronounced 'hahm,' not 'ham.' And that the German word for the pork product is actually Schinken.

Here's the link to the town's website: www.hamm.de It's mostly in German, but I think there's some info in English for you monolinguals.

Anyhow, I fly back to Michigan on July 5th and will be staying there until September 7th, when I head back to Germany. The only reasonably-priced flight I could find leaves from Toronto and lands in Amsterdam, so there will be some train travel involved, but I'm just happy that I didn't have to spend upwards of $900 for my ticket! (I paid about $360-- a pretty good deal.)

I'll try to post again soon. But in any case-- see you back in the States!

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Hi! I'm going to be a Fulbright TA this coming year in Munich. I just stumbled upong your blog today, it's great to read about someone's daily experiences there. I'm excited and nervouse all at once for the upcoming year :) I also spent a semester abroad studying at Uni Muenster, it was quite an experience. My blog is www.annieshead.blogspot.com

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home