Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Münster Here I Come!

Some good news: I got an email from Fulbright today, and my application to Uni Münster has been accepted!

I still don't know whether I'll have to pay tuition. Nordrhein-Westfalen recently introduced fees of 650 Euro per semester for foreign students who already have a Bachelor's or equivalent degree (like me). Current Fulbright grantees can get this waived, but it's not certain whether Fulbright will be able to get them to waive tuition for an alumna. I can pay it if I have to, but money's a little tight, so I'd prefer to avoid the fees if I can...

In any case, I look forward to taking classes in Germanic linguistics, Italian, and possibly German literature!

Soon I'll have to start looking online for housing in the Münster area. It's probably too late to apply for a dorm room, so a room in a WG (like a co-op apartment) might be my best bet. Of course, there is one small problem: I don't have any furniture.

Question for readers: Do any WGs offer furnished rooms? (If they don't, then I suppose I'll put up a list in the teacher's lounge and see whether any of my colleagues might be able to lend me a mattress, a chair, etc. for the year!)

2 Comments:

Blogger D. P. O'Connell said...

Hallo Ada!

Normally WGs don't offer furnished rooms. What you probably want to look for (when you want a möbliertes Zimmer) is a Zwischenmiete in a WG.

Usually this will be available when another student is going away for a year (say with Erasmus to Prague, Spain, wherever), and then they want to leave all their furniture (bed, Kleiderschrank, Buchregal) behind while they're gone. My friend J. had this last year in Berlin, and liked the arrangement.

Or, you could do like me last fall, get an unfurnished room, and live the first few months sleeping on a mattress, with your clothing in a suitcase. But I can't recommend that.

Also, there is of course the IKEA option. They have basic bedroom sets for 99 Euro...

12:38 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hi Ada,
If you get in touch with the German American Socienty in Muenster they would probably be able to scrounge up some furniture for you to use for the year.
Also, once a month each setion of town has a day when they can leave large items out to be picked up for trash, it's not unusual for students to go out and look around the street corners on these days, you can find some decent stuff!
Anne

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home