Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Quick Update

Ok, here's what's new:

-Uni M√ľnster somehow lost my application file! Fulbright sent me an email about this last Friday, along with an online application form to fill out. Unfortunately, the form didn't work the way it was supposed to (basically, I couldn't mail the completed form back to Fulbright or submit it online) so I had to print it out and mail it Germany. And it will take about a week to get there. Hopefully that won't be too late...

-My school has found temporary housing for me in Hamm. For the first couple of weeks after I arrive, I can stay rent-free in an apartment in Hamm. Supposedly it's located directly above a fire station, which might be interesting. Sufficient to say, I plan to bring ear plugs.

-My search for permanent housing is going fairly well. I've been looking on www.studentenwg.de . So far I've responded to about nine ads and gotten two responses, both of which sound fairly promising. Hopefully one of these will work out! Some of them are Zwischenmiete, some aren't, and it's hard to keep track of which are which... But if I don't find a room that already has some furniture, my Betreuungslehrer says that colleagues at the school can loan me some items.

-I still haven't even started to pack. Three guesses what I'll be doing all weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home