Ada Abroad: Living and Working in Germany

An online journal recording two years spent as a Fulbright/Pedagogical Exchange Service Teaching Assistant at secondary schools in Germany. (2003-2004 I was in a village near Bautzen; 2004-2005 I will be in Nordrhein-Westfalen.)

Name:
Location: Münster, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

I'm an American living in Germany, working as a foreign language assistant at a secondary school. Future plans: getting my Ph.D. (probably in Germanic Linguistics), becoming a professor, living an ethical and meaningful life.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I Can't Believe This is Happening

This entry will not be funny, because the topic is about as far from funny as it's possible to get.

When I was in high school, I had a very talented, very kind Humanities teacher named Mary Beth Carroll. Last week her 28-year-old daughter Jill was kidnapped in Iraq. Jill Carroll is a freelance reporter. She was working for the Christian Science Monitor. She reportedly has a great respect for Arab culture and Islam, and is learning to speak Arabic.

When Jill Carroll went to interview a member of the Iraqi parliament last week, her car was ambushed. The attackers killed her translator and took her hostage.

This morning I got an email from my mother with a link to an article from the Ann Arbor News. Apparently a tape of Jill Carroll was aired on Al Jazeera. The kidnappers are threatening to kill Jill unless the US government releases all female Iraqi prisoners within the next 72 hours.

This is what you don't believe really happens until it affects someone you know. This is the sort of thing you subconsciously don't let yourself acknowledge, the articles in the newspaper that skip over because they're too depressing. Until the victim is your former teacher's daughter and you can't look away anymore.

Please don't look away this time.

Please pray for Jill Carroll and her family.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

That's terrible. I will.

2:42 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I'm so sorry. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous kimberly said...

I hope she is ok and that the US releases those prisoners so she can go home!

12:50 AM  
Blogger GC PHILO said...

Wow, that's horrible. I have a cousin in Iraq... No one knows when she's coming back be we hope it'll be soon.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrienne:

I will keep her in prayer. I've been watching the news in hopes of hearing some good news.

Rick

3:43 PM  
Blogger J said...

Oh my! I'll also keep her in my thoughts. What a small world this is.

8:16 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I just saw the news of Jill's release today. What a relief for her family and friends.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... 1969 dodge daytona charger hunter programmable ultra quiet hepa air purifier Supplements creatine http://www.incorporation-15.info/Articles-of-incorporation-in-ada-county.html About old 40s dodge coupes dodge 3.3l missing http://www.cheap-levitra-4.info Third generation pontiac trans am specs Discount nexium online free pics of sexy legs and feet Financial planning and investment0a Undergraudate degree online business administration river cruises 1969 dodge dart sale Unhooking laptop screens farm bureau health insurance Barbie powerwheels jeep

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. projectors slide projectors digital Infant home made cards dejur projector belts Remote controlled car hummer Agent business insurance Ejeculation zoloft premature Pce leader job description air force primary care insert contact lens vi Cheap digital print uk moving company in new york Blackberry phones verizon Colorado bmw club Nokia new phones Largest body builder ever Taking lexapro every other day Computer cheats walk-throughs Hair styling business cards

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home